Question Your Shrimp
The leading cause of mangrove destruction is the meteoric growth of the shrimp farming industry in the developing world – 35% of all mangrove deforestation is caused by development for shrimp ponds. In an effort to produce cheap shrimp, mangroves and their accompanying ecosystem services are stripped from coastlines and replaced by open system shrimp farms that pollute the surrounding environment. Mangroves provide unique ecosystem services like:
• Nursery habitat for 75% of the worldʼs tropical and sub-tropical commercial ﬁsh
• Filtration of pollutants, preserving purity of coastal waters
• Proliﬁc renewable resources for coastal communities including food, ﬁrewood, medicines, shelter, and tourism
• Protection of coastal communities from the ravages of tsunamis and hurricanes
• Efﬁcient carbon sequestration, capable of sequestering far more CO2 per hectare than tropical rain forests
• Last remaining endemic habitat for wild Bengal tigers (Sundurbans mangroves)
Connect With Us
Are you an online Amazon shopper?
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization.
Recycle and Help MAP
We have just made it easier for you to send in your ewaste items. Now anyone that visits our recycle website, can easily print out a pre-paid shipping label.